What is NSTP?

The National Service Training Program (NSTP), established under R.A. 9163, is a two-semester program required for all undergraduate students. Students may choose among its three components: Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC), Civic Welfare Training Service (CWTS), or Literacy Training Service (LTS) to satisfy the NSTP requirement.

Who needs to take NSTP?

Students of any baccalaureate degree course or at least two-year technical-vocational courses in public and private educational institutions shall be required to complete one of the NSTP components as requisite for graduation.

What is ROTC?

The Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) is one component of the NSTP program. It is designed to provide military training to citizen soldiers in order to motivate, train, organize, and mobilize them for national defense preparedness. Graduates of the UP ROTC will become reservists under the Philippine Army Reserve Command.

Is ROTC mandatory?

No. ROTC itself is not a mandatory course. However, students cannot graduate from their undergraduate courses without completing an NSTP program. ROTC is one of the components of NSTP. We encourage students to take ROTC to satisfy their NSTP requirements.

Why should I take up ROTC?

ROTC is one of the best leadership and adventure training courses at the University that essentially teaches practical life skills. It is able to develop discipline, build character, and hone the potentials of every cadet. It is an opportunity to lead and make a difference.

There are five sections for ROTC. Which one should I pick?

The UP ROTC Corps of Cadets is divided into four units: Rayadillo, Infantry, Rescue, and Artillery. The fifth section, the Symphonic Band, is available only for undergraduates of the College of Music.

Is ROTC for males only?

No. In fact, we have cadets and cadet officers of all genders.

How long is the ROTC program? What is the schedule?

As with other NSTP programs, the ROTC program, the basic course is taken for one (1) year divided into two (2) semesters. Training is held on Saturdays, from 7 am to 12 pm. That is once a week, five (5) hours per day.

Is ROTC pure marching and drills?

No. ROTC cadets learn a lot of things including military leadership, disaster response, map reading, rope course and jungle survival skills, infantry weapons, rappelling, small unit tactics, communications, field artillery training, self-defense, and first aid.

Will I need to pay for a uniform?

Cadets will be allowed to borrow a ball cap and the upper and lower Tropical Fatigue Uniform (TFU). Cadets may need to purchase patches, belts, and footwear.

Is there a height requirement?


Are freshmen forbidden from ROTC?

No. In fact, ROTC is the only NSTP program available for freshmen. CWTS and LTS can only be taken starting sophomore years. 

Can I take ROTC during other years?

Yes. However, we recommend the freshmen to consider taking ROTC because it is the only NSTP component allowed for freshmen.

Can I transfer to another NSTP component?

After having enrolled in either ROTC, CWTS, or LTS; you are not forbidden to change NSTP components. However, in order to complete the NSTP requirement, students must complete the whole program of two semesters (2) for any component.

Is the training difficult?

The training is both academic and physical. Cadets will partake in many activities such as the Camp Visit where they can experience using military equipment such as vehicles, firearms, and obstacle courses. Cadets may also participate in the Sportsfest and compete against each other. It will be a  challenging but fun and rewarding experience.

Will taking up ROTC affect my academics?

Since discipline is one of the values we hold with much importance here in ROTC, undergoing ROTC training may even help you do good in your academics.

Will my medical condition hinder me from training?

Unless your medical condition will actually hinder you from undergoing the physical aspects of training (e.g. crippled), you can still enlist. In fact, a lot of our alumni have had medical conditions ranging from asthma to heart problems while they were still under training. There will be no risk of danger provided you are honest with your conditions.

I am not physically fit.

Even if you are not physically fit, you may become so through ROTC. As long as you have the drive and willpower, you can excel and may even achieve a 1.0 in ROTC.

I have a lot of phobias.

Joining the ROTC is the perfect chance to conquer that fear without the risk of danger.

How can I enlist in ROTC?

Enlistment in ROTC follows the same procedure as enlistment in other subjects through CRS. Freshmen will need to undergo manual enlistment

I am a freshman. How do I enlist in ROTC?

Freshmen must have an unlocked Form 5A to enlist. If your Form 5A is locked, go to your college secretary to have it unlocked. Once unlocked, you may enlist by filling out the online form.

I am from UP Manila, can I take ROTC?

Yes. Students from UP Manila can take UP ROTC through online enlistment by filling out the online form.

I am from a different college/university that doesn’t offer ROTC, can I enlist in UP ROTC?

Yes. Students from other institutions may enroll in UP ROTC through cross-registration in three simple steps:

  1. Submit an approved Permit to Cross Register (PCR) to the Office of the University Registrar (OUR) for approval.
  2. Present the approved PCR to Admission and Registration Section – Office of the University Registrar (ARS – OUR) for issuance of referral slip to UP Health Service (UPHS) for Medical Certificate, student directory form, application form and fee, and list of requirements.
  3. Submit the following requirements to the ARS-OUR for issuance of University Admission Slip:
  • Approved PCR
  • Accomplished Student Directory with Photo
  • Medical Certificate from the UPHS
  • Accomplished application form and fee
  • For foreign applicants: Study permit